"Laugh as much as possible, always laugh. It's the sweetest thing one can do for oneself & one's fellow human beings." –Maya Angelou
"When humor goes, there goes civilization." -- Erma Bombeck
At Sticky Couch, we have one goal: To find light in the darkness.
O.k., we have two goals: To find light in the darkness. Then make our readers laugh until they pee themselves.
If you have something you think would feel at home on our couch, stick it to us.
Here are some guidelines:
* We like writing that's timely, which right now includes the Co-Vid pandemic. But we're not boxed in. If you have something funny you think our readers would like, send it our way.
* Some examples of writers and artists and performers we love: David Sedaris, Allie Brosh, Alison Bechdel, Dorothy Parker, Jonathan Ames, Ernest Hemingway, Kurt Vonnegut, Mindy Kaling, Tina Fey, Roz Chast, Nora Ephron, Charles Portis, Bill Bryson, James Baldwin, Tig Notaro, and Betty White. Golden Girls forever.
* For prose (fiction/nonfiction/hybrid) -- 3,000 word max. Shorter is better because internet. Single-spaced with double spaces between paragraphs and sections, please. Word files or Google docs are fine.
* Art, comics and photos should be high resolution. Write a paragraph or two to accompany your work. See our Stuff We See Out There posts for examples.
* Video and audio clips should be three minutes, max.
*With all submissions, please send along a short bio note, a headshot/photo, and any links to your social media.
* Our response time varies. We shoot for anything from a day to two weeks. If you haven't heard back from us by then, feel free to reach out. Time is a construct, after all.
* Please proofread and polish your work before sending. Our editors will likely have some edits, but we'd like to focus on content and not grammar. Thank you in advance because we are old and our eyes hurt.
* Your subject line for your submission should look like this: SUBMISSION TITLEOFPIECE YOUR NAME. This helps a lot because spam. Thank you.
* We strongly prefer unpublished, new work, but we're open to previously-published work as long as we can give credit to the folks who first published it. Please let us know. Also simultaneous submissions are fine, but please let us know that, too.
* Send all submissions to: